22.214.171.124 Lab – Hard Drive Maintenance in Windows 8 Answers
Lab – Hard Drive Maintenance in Windows 8 (Answers Version)
In this lab, you will examine the results of using Disk Check and Disk Defragmenter on a hard drive.
Answers Note: If the hard drive is an SSD, do not let students perform the defragmentation. Defragmentation should not hurt the SSD, but it is not necessary with this type of drive.
- A computer running Windows 8
- Two or more partitions on the hard drive.
Step 1: Run the Error-checking Tool on a disk volume.
- Log on to Windows as an administrator.
- Open Windows Explorer. Right-click New Volume (G:) > Properties > Tools > Check Now.
Note: Substitute the volume name and drive (G:) for those used in your computer.
- Because Windows monitors the drives and runs automatic scheduled scans, you may see a message saying that You don’t need to scan this drive. Click Scan drive.
- The Your drive was successfully scanned window opens. Click Show details.
- The Event Viewer opens to display the Chkdsk event. Double click the Information event in the middle pane.
How many stages were processed?
Answers may vary. 3 stages if no problems occurred during check.
Were any problems found with the volume?______________________________________
Yes or No.
If so what are they?
Answers may vary.
- Click Close.
- Close all open windows.
Step 2: Use the Disk defragmenter tool.
Note: Do not perform this step if your computer has an SSD drive. It is unnecessary to defragment SSD drives.
- Open Windows Explorer. Right-click drive (C:) > Properties. Click the Tools tab > Optimize.
- The Optimize Drives window opens. Click (C:) > Analyze.
What percentage of the disk is fragmented?____________________________________________________________________________________
Answers may vary
- Click Optimize to start defragmenting the disk.
What is the first process during defragmenting (See Current status column)?____________________________________________________________________________________
What are the four tasks performed for each pass (See Current status column)?_________________________________________________________________________________
Relocated, defragmented, and consolidated.
How many passes did it take to defragment drive C:?
Answers may vary. 6 passes.
- When defragmenting is complete, click Close.
- Close all windows.
Note: It is not possible to view the detail of the defragmented hard drive through the GUI version of defragmenter.